Tuesday, September 29, 2009

PHOENIX REVIEW!!!!!



Several months ago on our way back from New York City a fellow dj was playing his iPod shuffle and on came this rather poppy synth friendly band. I immediately asked what it was and was really digging it. He said it was a band called Phoenix. Immediately upon reaching my home I searched long and hard for their albums. I was so pleased when i listened to their albums, my two favorite being It's Never Been Like That and Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix.

When I heard Phoenix was coming to Philly I freaked. We immediately got tix and were so pumped about seeing these talented French musicians take the stage. Fortunately the original dj who got me into Phoenix was unable to go (god damn projects!!!). The journey to the city and the show was intense but we got to the venue and I was impressed by the decorations, former bands playing there with their posters including one for the Decemberists and Belle and Sebastian.

The venue was the worst part of the show, no lies. The acoustics were absolutely horrible. When the opening act, Chairlift was on you couldn't understand any of the lyrics or hear anything in reality. It was rough but they did the best with what they could do. Their set lasted a good forty minutes, they closed it out with their huge hit "Bruises".

Phoenix came out to play their huge hit single "Lisztomania". From there the set was glorious. They played several older tracks off of It's Never Been Like That as well as Alphabetical and United. They were over the top with their light show making it hard for pictures by the way but when they closed out with a ten minute version of 1901 we were left in awe. This show was da bomb, I would gladly pay more money to see these talented artists live again but on one condition; they play a better venue

No comments: