Sunday, February 7, 2010

Media Journal Thingy Ma Bober


Last Thursday I logged the activities I partook in that involved consuming the media or what I considered to be the consumption of media. Most of my media intake comes in via my computer which is pretty much connected to the world so to speak via the internet.

In the morning I wake up and have music going since I listen to it while I sleep to help clear my head from a busy day. That morning I happened to have been awoken to Elliott Smith’s “Needle in the Hay” and I felt that was a bad way to actually start the day as it’s such a somber song and quite depressing. Upon reaching my computer I would switch the music to Minus the Bear to pump myself up as well as wake myself up.

While I was doing that I opened up Mozilla Firefox and checked my most visited forums to see what was new on the web on this lovely snow threatened world today. After viewing those forums I checked several news sites including BBC and CNN to get a decent intake of the days news.

After sitting through a long class about news writing I went up to the Bear’s Den to watch a live performance by my friend as she ended up playing for forty minutes during the eleven o’clock free hour. It was relaxing as acoustical tracks happen to do that no matter what, well usually they do.

Between the end of the performance and my next class I went back to the computer down in the KUR station and checked on the forums and news sites again to see if there was any new updates in anything. I noticed that there were more stories on Haiti still and that kind of bothered me, I have nothing against the people or what happened but there isn’t anything else we can do to fix things is there? We can’t go back in time and prevent it so why are we still talking about it?

After my last class was over I went back to my room and popped in a movie on my computer. I watched the latest George Clooney film, “Up In The Air” as it was close to the awards season and I wanted to watch a film. It made me feel a little depressed since the film had that notion about it yet at the end it felt uplifting as it didn’t end up giving that happy ending per say that you expect from films.

After the film my friends and I hopped in the car and left for Allentown and the show we were going to. I had no control over the radio at all so we were left with Owl City and Lady GaGa being played through the cd player. This was not a fun trip by any means as these two musicians infuriate my and make me want to punch things that don’t need punching.

Before the show started at the venue there was a projector playing for some ungodly reason the best of Will Ferrell Saturday night live dvd. I was confused because I wasn’t sure whether or not to laugh at this or not as most people think this man is hilarious, I really am not sure.

For the next four hours the concert was on, 3 acts, and it was a thrilling experience. I was excited, pumped, then angry as the breaks between acts got longer and longer. But once the main act came out it was this huge relief coming over me and I just ended up losing myself in the moment.

The rest of the evening found me listening to music, even though the ride back consisted of the same things as the ride to except I was like half asleep when we were going back anyway. When I got back to my room around one in the morning I listened to more of my music on shuffle and eventually fell back into sleep where I would wake up wondering what the hell am I listening to.

No comments: